Sunday, May 1, 2011

Jackie's 50th Birthday


I made this cake for someone very special to me.....my MOTHER!! It was a surprise for her. She knew I was making her a cake but she knew no details of it. Her favorite colors are purple, yellow, and green. Her birthday falls right around the time of mardi gras as well. So I went for a fun look to her cake since I know she wasnt to happy about the 50th birthday candles we stuck into it afterwards.This was my first topsy turvy cake I've ever made and I must say I was very pleased with it. This cake was yellow spongecake with buttercream icing. To get the height on this cake I used a dummy cake for the top layer. It is a piece of styrofoam shaped to the topsy turvy shape. I just iced it and decorated it like a regular cake layer. Its a great way to get the height you want without actually having more cake than you need!!

No comments:

Post a Comment